Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Apple Pie Slices

A few years after I was married, my mother in law gave everyone a cookbook, filled with her recipes, for Christmas.  I don't remember which recipe I tried first, but I know this was one of the first.  One of the best parts of visiting "Grandma Ritz" is that she makes yummy treats like this.  I made this once for my side of the family, and my dad wrote in a new title in the cookbook.  He titled it, "A Party in Your Mouth."  He actually wrote it into the book!  

I made this once with cherries.  I used my cherry pie recipe for the filling.  It was delicious!  The only thing was I need to strain the liquid off, this 'slab' pie does not really hold juices so well.  Also, this dough is very sticky and fragile.  Using extra flour to roll it out would dry it out and change the texture.  The bottom crust I roll out between the baking sheet and a piece of Suran Wrap.  The top crust I roll out between 2 large pieces of Suran Wrap, peel the top layer off, lay it down carefully over the apples, then peel off the bottom layer of plastic wrap.

Mix - 2 1/2 cups flour
         1 Tbsp. Sugar
         1 teas. Salt

Cut into flour  - 1 cup shortening

Separate 1 egg. Put egg yolk in measuring cup and add milk enough to make 2/3 cup in all.  Add to flour mixture.  Mix dough just enough to shape into a ball.  Roll out half of dough into a rectangle.  Transfer to a baking sheet - 11x15, jelly roll size.

Cover bottom layer of dough with - 
2/3 cup cornflakes, slightly crushed
5 cups peeled, sliced apples

Mix - 1 1/2 cups sugar
         1 teas. cinnamon

Sprinkle sugar/cinnamon over the apples.  Roll other half of the dough between 2 pieces of Suran Wrap.  Place over the apples, pinch the edges shut.  Beat the egg white until very stiff and spread over the top.  

Bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes. 
While hot, drizzle with a glaze made by mixing - 
1 cup powdered sugar
2 Tbsp. lemon juice

No comments: